Valerian LiquidCalm Tincture - 1-Litre
Dentals/farrier/travel fears? Our LiquidCalm gives you a potent, concentrated Valerian Tincture, providing a swift anxiolytic/antispasmodic/de-stressing effect via efficient maximum absorption by the body
Valerian root's active constituents increase the amount of a natural chemical in the body called gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA).
GABA, an inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system, helps regulate nerve cells and calms anxiety, creating a calming effect in the body. Valerian's effect on GABA produces a calming and restorative effect on the body’s central nervous system.
Being a natural sedative and antispasmodic, it also suppresses muscle spasms and acts as a natural muscle relaxant, ideal for effectively calming mare's severe uterine muscle contractions.
Valerian root has also been shown to help maintain levels of serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps regulate mood.
Our human-grade, certified organic LiquidCalm gives you a ready-to-absorb, potent source of organic valerian, at the highest-strength maceration, for immediate absorption straight into the bloodstream and to the body’s cells.
- acute anxiety/reactive state
- muscle relaxant
- severe seasonal cramping
- normalising the stress response
100% pure tincture of fresh, human-grade, certified organic Valeriana officinalis, cold-macerated at a strength of 1:2
NB - A strength of 1:2 means that each kilo of plant is extracted into 2-litres of liquid; a strength of 1:3 means each kilo of plant is extracted into 3-litres of liquid, therefore more diluted, hence weaker.
- Horse - 30ml / Pony - 15ml, daily in feed
- Always shake the bottle to disperse any sediment
- Supplements of any kind should be fed with caution to the pregnant or nursing mare so always seek veterinary advice.
- Not to be used when competing under rules.
- This is a nutritional product and is not intended as a substitute for veterinary advice or a healthy, species-appropriate diet.
- Alcohol is a naturally occurring substance found in fruits, as well as many feeds where fermentation may have taken place, and easily metabolised by the liver.
Derived from the personal name Valeria and the Latin verb valere (to be strong, healthy), valerian has been used as a medicinal herb since at least the time of ancient Greece and Rome. Hippocrates described its properties, and Galen later prescribed it as a remedy for insomnia.
Valerian root contains volatile oils, including valerenic acids, sesquiterpenes, valepotriates (esters of short-chain fatty acids), which act as anti-anxiety agents, and linarin, which creates a sedative effect.
Valerian extract increases the brain’s GABA level. Results from an in vitro study suggest that valerian extract may cause GABA to be released from brain nerve endings and then block GABA from being taken back into nerve cells. In addition, valerian’s valerenic acid inhibits an enzyme that destroys GABA, another way that valerian can improve GABA levels and promote calm.
* Conventional drugs such as alprazolam (Xanax) and diazepam (Valium) also work by increasing the amount of GABA in the brain.
- 24.4.22 - This valerian tincture has been so valuable for Jake. I went away with one of my horses and he was really settled with his other companion the whole time. We’re moving to Wales in July so it’s great to know I’ve got it to help with that transition too. I give him about 10ml every few days at the mo and that seems to help him feel mellow and positive.Many thanks, Laura.