Neem Oil (Melia azadirachta), Organic Cold Pressed 1-Litre - Usually £19.99, June 10% Discount
An effective topical oil for our sweet itch horses, as neem oil contains non-toxic insecticidal constituents.
The oil is particularly effective when used as a mosquito repellent and to get rid of lice.
Neem is also considered a useful anti-inflammatory, astringent, bacterial, viral and fungicidal agent, mainly because of the presence of its bitter limonoids, which makes the seed oil and leaf extracts beneficial for a variety of skin related issues including mud fever.
- Neem Seed (Melia azadirachta) Organic Cold Pressed Carrier Oil
- Certified 100% Organic
NB - this oil can harden to a thick gloop in cooler temperatures, although as it comes in a squeezable plastic bottle it's still easy enough to squidge out, until you get nearer the bottom in which case you'll need to sit in a jug of hot water to liquify.
- Sweet itch - apply neat, gently massaging into the typically affected areas until absorbed.
- Mud fever - apply neat around the underside of the pastern area before turnout.
- For external use only.
- Do not apply to very sensitive skin or facial area, especially mucous membranes.
- Therapies of any kind should be applied with caution to the pregnant mare so always seek veterinary advice.
For centuries, the neem tree has played a huge part in Ayurvedic and Indian folk medicine. In India, it is still considered to this day as a “cure-all” or a “miracle herb” that can heal most ailments. In the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit, it is known as “nimba”, which derives from the phrase “nimbati swastyamdadati”, meaning “to give good health”.
The healing properties of neem are mainly due to its bitter substances known as triterpenes (limonoids), with azadirachtin as one of the main active ingredients. In addition, neem contains beta-sitosterol, tannins, polysaccharides, flavonoids and essential oil.