- highly palatable, easily digestible
- a safe protein source providing cool energy
- gut health and nutrition
- supports joint health, cardiovascular health, and skin, coat and hoof condition
- high in fibre, vitamin C, vitamin E and chlorophyll
- vitamin D metabolism
- exceptional fatty-acid profile
- a useful prebiotic for hindgut health
- natural nutritive vitamin, mineral and antioxidant levels
- Hemp Seed (hulled) & Hemp Seed powder, ground from the pressed hemp seed cake post oil extraction.
- Certified Soil Association approved Organic
- Guaranteed non-GMO and gluten-free
- 12g/100kg bodyweight per day, thus for an average 500kg horse add 60g daily to feed.
- Supplements of any kind should be fed with caution to the pregnant mare so always seek veterinary advice.
- Composition certified organic.
- Contains no banned substances so safe for competition.
- 5% discount on 2kg volume.
- 10% discount on 3kg volume.
For such a tiny seed, hemp is an astonishing nutrient-rich, functional food for gut health and nutrition, being highly palatable, easily digestible and a safe protein source with a good source of cool energy.
With its unique combination of essential amino and fatty acids, the hemp seed effectively supports joint health, cardiovascular health, skin, coat and hoof condition, as well as an important digestive enhancer.
High in fibre, vitamin C, vitamin E and chlorophyll, hemp oil is already well-known for its exceptional fatty-acid profile, supplying a beneficial balanced omega3-6 ratio as well as significant quantities of stearidonic (properties typically associated with fish oils) and linolenic EFA (one of two essential fatty-acids).
Studies show that these features have a significant anti-inflammatory and immune-modulatory effect, influencing cellular responses and functions in a positive way (PMID: 15120716).
Hemp seed’s also been linked to vitamin D metabolism, thought to optimise calcium and bone metabolism, muscle integrity and other fat-soluble vitamin uptake; recent research suggests it helps improve lower limb muscle strength and lean mass.
Protein levels come in at around 33%, comparable to oil-extracted linseed, with the two main proteins being albumin and edestin, both rich in sulphur amino acids, and especially arginine and glutamic acid. The greatest utiliser of protein is the GI tract, which means hemp’s high protein levels and amino acid profile energises the gut lining cells, supporting the muscle wall and thought to help combat endotoxin absorption in the hindgut.
With a dietary fibre level of 50%, this provides a slow source of energy release. It’s also a useful prebiotic for the fibre-fermenting hindgut microbes, helping support good fibre digestibility and hindgut health.
All in all, an amazing little seed. We also sell organic Hemp Leaf, perfect for herbal tea, and both organic culinary and carrier Hemp Oil.
HEMP SEEDS, WHOLE Organically Certified
Typical Values per 100g%
Nutritional Value 456 kCal/1884 kJ
- of which sugars (naturally occurring) 6.69%
- of which Saturated Fatty Acids 3.18%
Roughage – Natural Fibre 30.6%
HEMP SEED POWDER Organically Certified
Typical Values per 100g%
Nutritional Value 303 kcal/1253 kJ
- of which sugars (naturally occurring) 3.1%
Dietary Fibre 49.00%
- of which Saturated Fatty Acids 0.87%
Sodium <0.010 .01%