- Optimal mitochondrial function for energy production.
- Leptin resistance and insulin sensitivity, and is also thought to assist with weight-loss, so beneficial for our IR/EMS equines.
- Muscle tightness (thought to be especially beneficial for PSSM equines).
- Mental performance.
- 100% pure Acetyl L Carnitine
- Human Grade
- Manufactured to ISO, BP, USP & EP requirements and/or food grade specifications.
- UK certificate of analysis available on request.
- 2g/100kg bodyweight per day, thus for an average 500kg horse add 10g daily to feed.
- Humans - 700mg (1/4 Teaspoon), stirred into water/smoothies, 1 to 3 times daily
Acetyl-L-Carnitine (ALCar) is an acetylated form of the naturally occurring amino acid, L-Carnitine. L-Carnitine facilitates the transport of fatty acids - which, like glucose, are fuels for cellular respiration - into the mitochondria (the energy-producing centre of all cells), thus playing an important role in cellular energy production.
Recent Swedish research shows that dietary supplements such as ALCar and Lipoic acid have a positive or protective effect on mitochondrial function. It also may be able to slow the aging process. To read the full article click here.
Personally? I feed it to all my horses, specifically to my three EMS to support leptin resistance and IR, and also to Carms, my TB, to support muscle tightness as she's officially 2/10 lame (although she'd like to disagree).
Meanwhile, Dr Kellon has also posted on the benefits of feeding ALCar to our horses in her Dr K's Horse Sense series -
18.4.19 - Metabolic Horse
Good morning carol
Just wanted to let you know that I have a pony who has turned the most massive corner after introducing the advice you gave into her feed.. wow!!
No more starving pony trying to eat me, no more scraping walls, kicking, biting and generally making me lose the will to live!
After getting a set of X-rays done and a date with the farrier, both he and the vet asked directly if I had her sedated ... that’s what it felt like. Relaxed, happy to oblige pony.
I know we have a long road ahead but without your help and advice I’d be lost!!!
A million Thanks from me and Lotti!