Dispatch, Delivery, & our Eco-Friendly Packaging Pledge
Since 2016 we've adopted a strict No-Plastic and Aluminium-Free policy, and all the more so when, as at June 2018, reports showed that the garbage trail in the Pacific Ocean was 3-times the size of France.
This prompted us to seriously look at the packaging options out there. Like many other equine supplement companies we originally started with plastic tubs back in 2007, but when I learned that their landfill shelf-life is 400-years (I kid you not), my conscience seriously got the better of me. We switched to natural, compostable Kraft paper bags and sacks, and continued researching.
Aluminium pouches then became the new trend and hit the shelves, but while they look sexy and are super-practical, deep down I knew I didn’t want to do aluminium because it's a horribly toxic heavy-metal which leaches into the product content, plus these pouches are neither recyclable nor biodegradeable, sadly only fit for the landfill.
There's also the fact that suitable packaging for the organic industry has various requirements; for starters it needs to have a low environmental impact - reducing our impact on the environment is really important to us, which in turn also helps our customers reduce theirs.
Second, it has to be made from as little fossil fuels, preferable none; and crucially be completely free of GMO’s.
In an ideal world no plastics at all would be better than any plastics; however, we also need to protect the integrity of our stock, so bag liners and stock protection is a necessity for some of our products. I’d love not to use liners but we also have to consider the courier factor - we've had parcels left on doorsteps - even hedges - in howling gales, so this means we have to compromise to a degree.
Enter landfill-compostable plant-based bioplastics, which for now look like an ideal solution for us. To date they don’t come in big sizes yet, so the heavier of our EquiVita mineral balancers are still protected in a polythene liner before being wrapped into our Kraft bags and sacks. However, smaller-volume EquiVitas now go into compostable bioplastic bags along with our other products.
Pulling all this together, this means: What we don't do:
- Plastic tubs.
- Plastic scoops - we've all got hundreds lying around the feedroom already, or there're spoons, mugs, jugs ...
- Cable ties.
- Aluminium pouches.
- Bubble wrap, unless it's been sent to us by a supplier so we'll recycle it onwards in our own packaging.
What we do:
- We package all our products in natural Kraft brown paper bags and sacks, which you can chuck on the compost or into your weekly recycling. The only compromise on this (and trust me when I say making this decision hurt) is that we wrap our EquiVita mineral balancers inside a thin poly liner for protection, before then wrapping into our Kraft bags/sacks.
- We use recyclable paper tape on our parcel boxes so you don’t have to rip off plastic tape to recycle them.
- We recycle every scrap of packaging from our bulk produce suppliers straight back out to our clients, or if we can’t, it's recycled weekly.
- And if we run out of recycled fillers for your parcel box, we use Ecoflow biodegradeable loose fill.
We’re now looking at home compostable packaging which looks to be even better, but as we speak the industry is still very new. Watch this space …
- UK Courier Delivery For UK mainland orders we use ParcelForce 24 Hour Express, and ship on the day we blend your order. We always aim to get your order blended and on its way to you within 1 working day , depending on how busy we are. All deliveries require a signature, so if you're not going to be in, ParcelForce always try to leave with a neighbour. Failing that they'll leave a card with rearranging delivery instructions. Alternatively, let us know of your preferred safe, covered place in the comments box during the Checkout process, and we'll advise ParcelForce accordingly.Occasionally, delays may occur which are beyond our control - we're pleased to say these are rare, but they can happen. Please let us know if your item has not been received within 5 working days and we will do our best to investigate for you.
- International Delivery We use both Parcelforce or DPD, who deliver within 2-5 days. Please note that this can mean the time to get your order into the country, so please allow a day or two extra to get to your delivery address.
- Delivery Charges - We never hide or build delivery charges into the cost of our products, nor do we make any profit from delivery charges - in fact, we subsidise our UK mainland shipping cost to you.- EU & Europe shipping: Most countries are the same price whether it's 1kg or 28kg and is the same price that ParcelForce charge us.