Every plant has its own aroma via its volatile (essential) oil, and horses have quite remarkable responses to these aromatic plant oils. Horses instinctively know, through a plant's natural aroma, which ones are beneficial to their system and when they need them.
An essential oil is a highly concentrated volatile substance which evaporates on contact with air. Essential oils bring excellent therapeutic benefits for our horses, working on three levels - the physical, psychological and spiritual. When ingested either orally, through skin or through breath, they bring about a state of synergy within the body which promotes and maintains physiological balance and health.
We have two beautifully natural and organic topical therapies for your horse, our EquiGels and Shampoo Soaps, blended with essential oils, with both ranges completely human-grade as well:
- EquiGels Our topical EquiGels provide soothingly effective, aromatic therapies using both essential and macerated organic oils, blended into organic Aloe Vera gel. Aloe vera is a succulent plant renowned for its soothing qualities, especially for skin conditions such as burns, rashes, cuts and scrapes, but also for more serious skin conditions such as psoriasis. Aloe vera contains about 75 potentially active compounds, including disinfectant, antimicrobial, antiviral, antifungal, antibiotic and antibacterial properties, and as an adaptogen it may also help the body adapt to stress.Our EquiGels are individually hand crafted to order, with no petrochemical derivatives or by-products, no parabens, no sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS), nor are there any GMO, artificial or synthetic ingredients which means no toxic residue being absorbed into your horse's skin. As a natural preservative we add in 100% natural organic Vitamin E oil to extend the shelf-life of our EquiGels, as well as it being an extremely effective antioxidant. This not only slows down oxidation, but is also excellent to use on the skin for its ability to reduce free radical damage.
- MallOil The Mallenders/Sallenders horse overproduces keratin, with Mallenders as thickened crusts, cracks and scabs behind the knees, and Sallenders on the hock fronts. It particularly affects cobs/heavy breeds and those with feathers, as well as being frustratingly difficult to manage for the owner. However, it's been found that biotin in the diet exacerbates the production of keratin; hence we have our EquiVitaM range which excludes both biotin and brewers yeast.Our MallOil is an effective and completely natural topical oil to lessen keratin eruptions on the Mallenders/Sallenders horse, using Comfrey macerated oil in a base of Coconut oil as a natural keratin suppressant.
- Shampoo Soaps So easy to use - just hold and lather up! Completely natural, artisan, handmade Shampoo Soaps made for us by the Natural Soap Company, using wonderfully moisturising tree oils, butters and essential oils, and with no artificial chemicals. Use Neem for itchy skin, Coconut for shiny coat, and JustSoap for sensitive fluff.
A quick word on Cautions
- An essential oil is a highly concentrated substance, and our range is carefully balanced between oil and carrier, therefore it is not recommended to tamper with the product as an adverse reaction could result.
- Keep in a dark, cool area - sunlight reduces the therapeutic effect.
It's recommended to apply using a vinyl glove or with a clean utensil, i.e. cotton bud/cloth or wooden spatula.