Here's a mind-boggling statistic - 50 years ago, carrots had 75% more magnesium than today.
Just one example of how our soil nutrient levels have changed over the years, and why we need a solution to help provide our horses with an effective nutritional foundation.
Now here's a thought - imagine randomly removing 50% of the nuts and bolts from your car, then try to drive it. How far do you think you’d get? Some might just about rattle and roll, but imagine the stress on your car engine. Chances are, you wouldn’t risk even putting the key in the ignition.
In human world, if we’re eating the standard western C.R.A.P. diet (Carbs, Refined, Artificial, Processed), health nuts report that our own machinery is missing a staggering 80% of our essential nuts and bolts. Just as our car won’t function properly, neither will our body, which is why such a high percentage of the western human race is so sick.
Put simply, we need all of the essential components for the body to work properly. And not unsurprisingly, it's the same for our horses.
FACT - Our UK grasslands are deficient in many of the essential minerals, and way too high in others.
FACT - Changes in the chemistry of grass cause changes in the chemistry of the horse, with many chronic health conditions being due to unbalanced micronutrients.
FACT - Most alleged behavioural issues will resolve by feeding minerals balanced to our known UK forage deficiencies.
- A carefully balanced multi-mineral nutritional solution specific to our UK grasslands.
- Balanced to the NRC guidelines based on known UK forage deficiencies, which means it provides the correct ratios of the deficient minerals and micronutrients to balance the equine dietary requirements.
- No fillers whatsoever, just the composition your horse needs, based on the known deficiencies and NRC guidelines, to nutritionally balance the diet.
- Includes as standard: * Lysine * Magnesium * Phosphorous * Bioplex Copper & Zinc * Brewers Yeast * Biotin * Methionine * Organic Selenium *
(Please note our 'M' range (for the Mallenders/Sallenders horse) excludes the Brewers Yeast and Biotin as these are known keratin producers)
- Our standard EquiVita range, ideal for all-round maintenance.
- EquiVitaA range includes Spirulina Algae for added potent nutrients.
- EquiVitaT range includes Turmeric for joint and inflammatory support.
- EquiVitaM range excludes Biotin, suitable for the Mallenders/Sallenders horse.
- EquiVitaNursery range, which includes our EquiVitaNM (Nursing Mare) and EquiVitaY (Youngstock).
- VitaComplete range, which combines our EquiVita range, micronised linseed (100g daily) and certified refined salt (10g daily) together as a convenient 3-in-1.
The Options - each range is tailored to include winter/hay support, probiotics and/or detoxing:
- EquiVita-Plus - adds back in the vits C and E which are depleted both in winter grass and the drying/curing of grass to hay, so if there's hay in your horse's diet you'll need the 'Plus' option.
- ProB - with Yea-Sacc 1026 probiotic.
- DTox - with MycosorbA+ mycotoxin binder/fungal moulds.
- DToxProB - with both Yea-Sacc & MycosorbA.
- Ultra - includes the lot - the Plus, ProB & DTox options, with higher Yea-Sacc 1026 probiotic and MycosorbA+ mycotoxin binder.
- MAX - our Ultra with Spirulina and Turmeric.
* All these options are available in the VitaComplete range.
Plus ... Great Savings
- 5% saving on 3kg - 10% on 5kg - 15% on 10kg - 20% on 20kg
- And ... Free UK Delivery on orders 10kg or £80.00 and over.
Looking for a Custom-Made Mineral Solution?
If you have your own formulated feed plan from an accredited analysis, we may be able to blend it for you. Contact us for details.
Finally, the Importance of Adding Salt Separately
It's essential to feed salt in the diet for so many important reasons. Apart from keeping body fluids in balance and providing essential natural electrolytes which play a key role in normal nerve/muscle function and blood sodium levels, sodium is also needed to balance potassium levels, both in grass and in the body, especially in hot weather.
Sodium and chloride (salt) are the major electrolytes lost in sweat, followed by potassium, so we need to feed around 20-25g salt daily to cover a baseline requirement. If you prefer to feed electrolytes, make sure this amount of salt is included in the composition.
Salt also encourages drinking water; obviously for summer hydration, and for winter too - horses drink far less water in winter so we need to help encourage them to do so.
However, as the biochemist team at Alltech have advised us, the problem with blending salt into a mineral/vitamin mix is that sodium acts as a dessicant (drying agent) which denatures much of the composition because it attracts moisture, so a mineral mix blended with salt loses its essential structure, which also shortens the shelf-life. We therefore don't include salt in our EquiVita range.
This means you need to add your own. Add a generous heaped tablespoon of salt into the feedbowl, double if in hard work or sweating. We do a range of certified unrefined sea salts, certified by the Soil Association, as well as Himalayan rock salts, available in bulk at great rates, in our Individual Items page in the Online Shop.
* So why are we including salt in the Complete? A couple of reasons:
3. All our products are hand blended to order so there's no extra shelf time added to the Best Before date, hence lessening the time-risk of degrading the mix.
4. We use coarse salt, not fine Fine salt has a much higher dessicating effect than coarse as it saturates across the entire mix, so coarse salt nibs mean less risk of the dessicating effect. Fine salt also makes the whole product taste salty, which for those horses who don't enjoy the taste of salt, might put them off. My connie, Murphy, won't eat anything that tastes of salt so the only way I can get it down him is to sneak it in via coarse salt nibs.
For our full EquiVita range, including our BSA Client range, see our ONLINE SHOP